Coercion in Mental Health: Patterns & Prevalence of Coercion in Mental Health Care & a Trial of the Effectiveness & Costs of Supervised Community Treatment Orders. ULTIMA & OCTET, 2009-2015.
I led the qualitative arm of this £1.9m NIHR research programme led by Professor Tom Burns.
The programme comprised two studies: ULTIMA, a study of informal pressure (or leverage) in community mental health services and OCTET, a randomised controlled trial of community treatment orders. I managed, executed and supervised several qualitative studies with patients (n=76), clinicians (n=73) and carers (n=25).
Peer Reviewed Journal Publications
- Rugkåsa, J., Canvin, K. (2017) Mental Health, Coercion and Family Caregiving: Issues from the International Literature. British Journal of Psychiatry International 14(3): 56-58.
- Dunn, M., Canvin, K., Rugkåsa, J., Sinclair, J., Burns, T. (2016) An Empirical Ethical Analysis of Community Treatment Orders within Mental Health Services in England. Clinical Ethics 11: 130-139. DOI: 10.1177/1477750916657654.
- Rugkåsa, J., Molodynski, A., Yeeles, K., Vazquez Montes, M., Visser, C., Burns, T. and the OCTET Group (2015) Community treatment orders: Clinical and social outcomes, and a subgroup analysis from the OCTET RCT. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 131(5): 321-329. DOI: 10.1111/acps.12373
- Canvin, K., Rugkåsa, J., Sinclair, J., Burns, T. (2014) Patient, Psychiatrist and Family Carer Experiences of Community Treatment Orders: Qualitative Study. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology 49(12): 1873-82. DOI: 10.1007/s00127-014-0906-0.
- Rugkåsa, J., Canvin, K., Sinclair, J., Sulman, A., Burns, T. (2014) Trust, deals and authority. Community mental health professionals’ experiences of influencing reluctant patients. Community Mental Health Journal 50(8): 886-95. DOI: 10.1007/s10597-014-9720-0
- Dunn, M., Sinclair, J., Canvin, K., Rugkåsa, J., Burns, T. (2014) The use of leverage in community mental health: Ethical guidance for practitioners. International Journal of Social Psychiatry 60(8): 759-65. DOI: 10.1177/0020764013519083
- Canvin, K., Rugkåsa, J., Sinclair, J., Burns, T. (2013) Leverage and other informal pressures in community psychiatry in England. International Journal of Psychiatry and Law 36: 100-106. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijlp.2013.01.002
- Burns, T., Rugkåsa, J., Molodynksi, A, Dawson, J., Yeeles, K., Vazquez-Montes, M., Voysey, M., Sinclair, J., Priebe, S. and the OCTET team. (2013) Community Treatment Orders for patients with psychosis: a randomised controlled trial (OCTET). The Lancet 381: 1627-1633. DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(13)60107-5
- Dunn, M., Maughan, D., Hope, T., Canvin, K., Rugkåsa, J., Sinclair, J., Burns, T. (2012) Threats and offers in community mental health care. Journal of Medical Ethics 38(4): 204-9. DOI: 10.1136/medethics-2011-100158
- Canvin, K., Rugkåsa, J. (2011) Patient experiences of leverage (informal coercion) in England: findings from a qualitative study [abstract]. Psychiatrische Praxis 38.
- Rugkåsa, J., Canvin, K. (2011) Community Treatment Orders: a qualitative investigation of patient experiences in England [abstract]. Psychiatrische Praxis 38.
- Canvin. K. (2016), Patient experiences and perceptions of coercion: Universal meaning, individual experiences? In Andrew Molodynski, Jorun Rugkåsa & Tom Burns (eds) Coercion in Community Psychiatry: International Perspectives. Oxford, Oxford University Press.
- Burns, T. Rugkåsa, J., Yeeles, K., Catty, J. for the Oxford Mental Health Coercion (OCTET) Programme Group (2014) Coercion in Mental Health: A Trial of the Effectiveness of Community Treatment Orders and an Investigation of Informal Coercion in Community Mental Health Care. Unpublished report to the NIHR.
Invited Talks: Keynote Speaker
- Canvin, K. Personal Experiences of Community Treatment Orders: A Qualitative Study of Patient, Psychiatrists and Family Carers. Paper invited by Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust CTO Conference, Brighton. 22 November 2013.
Invited Talks: Other
- Canvin, K. Predicting the unpredictable? Findings from a qualitative study of psychiatrists’ and patients’ experiences of CTOs in England. Invited presentation to International Centre for Mental Health Social Research, University of York. 12 February 2014.
- Canvin, K. Findings from the qualitative arm of OCTET. Presentation to the End of Study Conference, London. 21 March 2013.
- Rugkåsa, J. & Canvin, K. OCTET: An RCT of Community Treatment Orders. Invited Presentation to the Forensic Mental Health Teaching Session, Institute of Psychiatry, King’s College London. 20 January 2012.
- Rugkåsa, J. & Canvin, K. Assessing the Appropriateness of Community Treatment Orders and Patient Involvement and Understanding. Invited presentation given to the Care Quality Commission’s conference ‘Improving the Care and Experience for Patients Detained Under the Mental Health Act’, London, UK. 24 March 2011.
- Rugkåsa, J. & Canvin, K. Oxford Community Treatment Order Evaluation Trial (OCTET): Background and Early Findings From Qualitative Patient Interviews. Invited presentation given to the 6th North East Mental Health Law Conference, Newcastle, UK, 10 June 2011.
- Rugkåsa, J. & Canvin, K. OCTET: Studying the Effectiveness of Community Treatment Orders. Invited presentation as part of the SUNLOW Seminars for Service Users in London, London, UK. 25 February 2011.
- Rugkåsa, J. & Canvin, K. Why Use Qualitative Methods in the Study of CTOs? Invited presentation at the Annual National Conference on Coercion in the Community, Oslo, Norway, 22-23 March 2010.
Peer Reviewed Conference Contributions
- Canvin, K. & Rugkåsa, J. Special measures? Qualitative interviews with people with (severe) mental illness and their carers. Paper presented at the Mental Health Qualitative Research Network seminar, London, UK, 23 September 2013.
- Canvin, K. Coercion in the community: Mental health service user and professional experiences. Paper presented at the BSA Medical Sociology 45th Annual Conference, York, UK, 11-13 September 2013.
- Canvin, K. Predicting the unpredictable? Findings from a qualitative study of psychiatrists’ and patients’ experiences of CTOs in England. Paper presented at the 33rd Congress of the International Academy of Law and Mental Health, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 14-19 July 2013.
- Canvin, K. Service user perspectives on coercion in psychiatry (symposium on Service user, family, and advocacy perspectives on coercion in psychiatry). Paper presented at the 21st World Congress on Social Psychiatry, Lisbon, Portugal, 29 June-3 July 2013.
- Rugkåsa, J. & Canvin, K. Patient experiences of involuntary psychiatric treatment in the community. Paper presented at the 43rd Annual Conference of the British Sociological Association’s Medical Sociology Group, Chester, UK, 14-16 September 2011.
- Simon, J., Anand, P., Gray, A., Rugkåsa, J., Burns, T. and the OCTET team. Capability measurement in the OCTET study: Developing the OxCAP-MH. ICECAP workshop, Birmingham, UK 2011.
- Simon, J., Anand, P., Gray, A., Rugkåsa, J., Burns, T. and the OCTET team. Operationalising the capabilities approach for mental health studies (OxCAP-MH). Opening plenary at the New Directions in Welfare Conference, OECD Paris, 6 July 2011.
- Rugkåsa, J. & Canvin, K. Community Treatment Orders: A Qualitative Investigation of Patient Experiences in England. Paper presented at the IXth International Conference of the European Network for Mental Health Service Evaluation (ENMESH), Ulm, Germany. Psychiatrische Praxis, 38, doi: 10.1055/s-0031-1277839. 23-25 June 2011.