How do Social Welfare Policies & Practices Build or Undermine Resilience in Poor Households? An International Comparative Study, 2004-2007
Principal Investigators: Professors Margaret Whitehead & Chris Jones, University of Liverpool
I collaborated with colleagues at the Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden and the other projects involved in the ESRC-funded Priority Network, “Development and persistence of human capability and resilience in its social and geographical context” led by Professor Mel Bartley, UCL.
Peer Reviewed Journal Publications
- Marttila, A., Whitehead, M., Canvin, K., Burström, B. (2009) Controlled and dependent – experiences of living on social assistance in Sweden. International Journal of Social Welfare 19(2): 142-151. DOI: 10.1111/j.1468-2397.2009.00638.x
- Canvin, K., Marttila, A., Burström, B., Whitehead, M. (2009) Tales of the unexpected? Hidden resilience in poor households in Britain. Social Science and Medicine 69(2): 238-245. DOI: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2009.05.009
- Canvin, K., Jones, C., Marttila, A., Burström, B., Whitehead, M. (2007) Can I risk using public services? Perceived consequences of seeking help and health care among households living in poverty: qualitative study. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 61: 984-989. DOI:10.1136/jech.2006.058404
- Jones, C., Burström, B., Marttila, A., Canvin, K., Whitehead, M. (2006) Studying social policy and resilience to adversity in different welfare states: Britain and Sweden. International Journal of Health Services 36(3):425-442. http://baywood.metapress.com/openurl.asp?genre=article&id=doi:10.2190/E9H5-URYL-2W4U-QED6
- Whitehead, M., Canvin, K., Jones, C. (2006) ‘Beating Poverty’ and ‘Designing services that enhance resilience and well-being’ in Mel Bartley (ed), Capability and resilience: Beating the odds. London, UCL Department of Epidemiology and Public Health. Available at http://www.ucl.ac.uk/capabilityandresilience/beatingtheoddsbook.pdf
Other Research Reports
- Canvin, K., Jones, C., Whitehead, M. (2004) How do social welfare policies and practices build or undermine resilience in poor households? An international comparative study. Unpublished position paper for the ESRC Priority Network on the development and persistence of human capability and resilience in its social and geographical context.
Invited Talks: Keynote speaker
- Canvin, K., & Whitehead, M. Delivering services that enhance resilience and well-being. Focusing on Child Poverty, Capability and Resilience: ‘Beating the Odds’, Leamington Spa, February 2008.
- Canvin, K., Jones, C., Whitehead, M. Resilience and Social Welfare. Invited workshop at the Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool, 2005.
- Canvin, K., Whitehead, M., Jones, C. How do social welfare policies and practices build or undermine resilience in poor households? An international comparative study. Invited presentation at the one-day conference: Parenting, Child Health and Disadvantage. Lancaster 2004.
Peer Reviewed Conference Contributions
- Canvin, K., Jones, C., Whitehead, M. The lived experience of poverty and social welfare services in Britain & Sweden: An exploration of the features that build or undermine resilience in poor households. British Sociological Association Annual Conference, York, April 2005.