Peer Reviewed Journal Publications
- Marttila, A., Whitehead, M., Canvin, K., Burström, B. (2009) Controlled and dependent – experiences of living on social assistance in Sweden. International Journal of Social Welfare 19(2): 142-151. DOI: 10.1111/j.1468-2397.2009.00638.x
- Canvin, K., Marttila, A., Burström, B., Whitehead, M. (2009) Tales of the unexpected? Hidden resilience in poor households in Britain. Social Science and Medicine 69(2): 238-245. DOI: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2009.05.009
- Sen, D., Canvin, K., Rugkåsa, J. (2009) HealthTalkOnline.org. OpenMind 154: 10-12.
- Canvin, K. (2008) “There is a person behind the flab!”: Young people speak out about their weight problems. Education and Health, 26(4): 72-73.
- Rugkåsa, J., Canvin, K. (2007) DIPEx – a Collection of Personal Narratives of Health and Illness. KnowledgeShare section of Diversity in Health and Social Care. 4(4): 110.
- Canvin, K., Jones, C., Marttila, A., Burström, B., Whitehead, M. (2007) Can I risk using public services? Perceived consequences of seeking help and health care among households living in poverty: qualitative study. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 61: 984-989. DOI:10.1136/jech.2006.058404
- Jones, C., Burström, B., Marttila, A., Canvin, K., Whitehead, M. (2006) Studying social policy and resilience to adversity in different welfare states: Britain and Sweden. International Journal of Health Services 36(3):425-442. http://baywood.metapress.com/openurl.asp?genre=article&id=doi:10.2190/E9H5-URYL-2W4U-QED6
- Canvin, K. & Ford, F.M. (2002) Positive steps on the path to employment: returning to work after mental health problems [abstract]. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 56 Suppl 2:A10.
- Canvin, K. (2000) The Kick Inside: An Account of the Experience of Pregnancy in Prison. Unpublished PhD Thesis.
- Whitehead, M., Canvin, K., Jones, C. (2006) ‘Beating Poverty’ and ‘Designing services that enhance resilience and well-being’ in Mel Bartley (ed), Capability and resilience: Beating the odds. London, UCL Department of Epidemiology and Public Health. Available at http://www.ucl.ac.uk/capabilityandresilience/beatingtheoddsbook.pdf
- Canvin, K., Salinas, M. (2010) Young people, health and weight. Available at: http://www.youthhealthtalk.org/young_people_health_and_weight/
- Canvin, K. (2008) Mental health: ethnic minority experiences. Available at: http://www.healthtalkonline.org/mental_health/mentalhealthserviceusers
Other Research Reports
- Canvin, K., Jones, C., Whitehead, M. (2004) How do social welfare policies and practices build or undermine resilience in poor households? An international comparative study. Unpublished position paper for the ESRC Priority Network on the development and persistence of human capability and resilience in its social and geographical context.
- Ford, F., Canvin, K., Lewis, C. (2003) How do you manage when someone at work has a mental health problem? Do’s and Don’ts of Mental Health in the Workplace. Unpublished report. Available at http://www.buryest.myzen.co.uk/services/efd/mentalhealthtips.pdf
- Ford, F., Canvin, K., Lewis, C. (2003) Working with Mental Health. Unpublished report. Available at http://www.uclan.ac.uk/schools/postgraduate_medical_dental_education/files/health_sphcs_ford_mental_health_problems.pdf
- Canvin, K., & Whitehead, M. Delivering services that enhance resilience and well-being. Focusing on Child Poverty, Capability and Resilience: ‘Beating the Odds’, Leamington Spa, February 2008.
Other invited talks:
- Canvin, K., Jones, C., Whitehead, M. Resilience and Social Welfare. Invited workshop at the Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool, 2005.
- Canvin, K., Whitehead, M., Jones, C. How do social welfare policies and practices build or undermine resilience in poor households? An international comparative study. Invited presentation at the one-day conference: Parenting, Child Health and Disadvantage. Lancaster 2004.
- Ford, F.M., Canvin, K., Lewis, C. Job retention and rehabilitation of people with mental health problems: An evidence-based workplace intervention. Invited talk to Sefton Social Services, Liverpool, 2002.
- Ford, F.M., Lewis, C., Canvin, K. (presenter) Mental health: no barrier? The NHS as good corporate citizen. Invited workshop at The NHS as Good Corporate Citizen Conference, Birmingham 2002.
- Canvin, K. Pregnancy in a Custodial Environment: Dilemmas in Policy and Practice for the Prison Service. Invited lecture at the University of Wales, Cardiff, 1996.
Peer Reviewed Conference Contributions
- Canvin, K. & Rugkåsa, J. What can service providers learn from mental health service users and carers? UK Mental Health Research Network Scientific Conference, London, March 2008.
- Rugkåsa, J. & Canvin, K. Experiences of Mental Health in Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) Communities in the UK. Poster presented at the Developing Racial Equality in Mental Health 2nd Conference, Warwick, UK, 2007.
- Canvin, K., Jones, C., Whitehead, M. The lived experience of poverty and social welfare services in Britain & Sweden: An exploration of the features that build or undermine resilience in poor households. British Sociological Association Annual Conference, York, April 2005.
- Ford, F.M. & Canvin, K. Return to Work after Mental Health Problems: the professionalisation of experience. European Public Health Association ASM, Oslo 2004.
- Ford, F.M. & Canvin, K. What can health professionals do to promote the functional recovery of people with mental health problems? SAPC Conference, Manchester 2003.
- Canvin, K. & Ford, F.M. The professionalisation of experience: Making experiences of mental ill health work. British Sociological Association Medical Sociology Group Conference, York, September 2002.
- Canvin, K. & Ford, F.M. Positive steps on the path to employment: returning to work after mental health problems. Society for Social Medicine Annual Scientific Meeting, Liverpool, September 2002.
- Canvin, K. Pregnant Prisoners’ Expectations for Pregnancy. British Sociological Association Human Reproduction Study Group Annual Conference, Northampton, 2001.
- Canvin, K. & Ford, F.M. Return to work following mental illness: work in progress. British Sociological Association Medical Sociology Group Conference, York, September 2001
- Canvin, K. Pregnancy v. Prison: Institutions in Conflict? Socio-Legal Studies Association Annual Conference, Leicester, 1998.
- Canvin, K. Hard Labour? Pregnancy in Prison. Howard League Annual Conference, Oxford, 1997.