INTRODUCTORY SESSION: Introduction to Qualitative Analysis (half day) with Dr Krysia Canvin
Thursday 7 December 2017 9.30-12.30, Crewe
- To provide:
- A basic introduction to qualitative data analysis
- The terminology used in qualitative analysis
- An overview of the range of analytical techniques
- An opportunity to analyse some data
- To make participants aware of:
- The challenges involved in conducting qualitative analysis
- The limitations of qualitative analysis
- To signpost further reading
- To provide opportunities for one-to-one questions and advice
At the end of the course, participants should be able to:
- Distinguish between different styles of qualitative data analysis
- Understand what qualitative analysis involves
The course does not cover:
- Detailed exploration of different methods of analysis
- Interpreting findings or situating findings in a theoretical framework
- Constructing theory
- CAQDAS (Computer Assisted Qualitative Data Analysis Software)
- Writing-up findings
WHO IS IT FOR?
Introduction to Qualitative Analysis is suitable for individuals who have undertaken an introductory course to qualitative research (including Basic Introduction to Qualitative Research on 6 December) but with little or no knowledge or practical experience of qualitative analysis.
The course will take place in a training room with an attached breakout area. The course will combine informal lecture-style teaching using Powerpoint slides, with group discussion and practical exercises. Places will be limited to 6-10 people to facilitate an informal setting where interaction, questions and discussion are welcome.
ABOUT KRYSIA CANVIN
I have been a hands-on qualitative researcher for over 20 years. That means my day job consists of actually doing the research, not only supervising and/or lecturing (although I do some of that too). As a result, I have been involved in 15 qualitative projects (mostly as lead or sole researcher), interviewed hundreds of participants and analysed thousands of pages of data. I have authored/contributed to around 90 articles, reports, book chapters and presentations. I have worked at several prestigious universities: University of Oxford, University College London, University of Liverpool. In addition to providing bespoke qualitative research training, I have been teaching qualitative methods on the Oxford Clinical Psychology Doctorate for 9 years and receive consistently positive reviews from trainees.
WHAT PARTICIPANTS SAY ABOUT THESE INTRODUCTORY COURSES
“Gave a very good overview of qualitative research in a really fun, interactive style”
“Did exactly what it said on the tin!”
“Course was fab, gave me a great overview of the main concepts – I understand that you could do a course for a week and still not cover everything, so this intro course was a good starting point. I was happy with the small group set up as this was great for interaction and discussion.”
“I really enjoyed doing the supermarket exercise, watching the role play and attempting to code. Also Krysia created a really nice learning environment where it was easy to ask any questions.”
EARLY BIRD: Booking deadline Friday 27 October 2017
- £100 for half-day session
- Book all 3 introductory sessions (6-7 December 2017) for £250 (accommodation and lunch NOT included)
STANDARD: Booking deadline Friday 3 November 2017
- £120 for half-day session
- Book all 3 introductory sessions (6-7 December 2017) for £310 (accommodation and lunch NOT included)
Crewe, Cheshire (10 minute walk from mainline station)
To book please complete the form below.