PRACTICAL SESSION: Qualitative Interviewing Workshop with Dr Krysia Canvin
9am-5pm, Thurs 11 January 2018, Crewe
1. To provide:
- Extensive opportunity to practice one-to-one qualitative interviews, including:
- Various interviewing techniques
- Dealing with common challenges
- Handling paperwork, equipment
- Feedback from an experienced interviewer
2. To make participants aware of:
- Common pitfalls for interviewers
- What it’s like to be interviewed (what interviewers need to be aware of)
3. To provide opportunities for one-to-one questions and advice
At the end of the course, participants should:
- Feel more confident about conducting a qualitative interview
- Have increased awareness of potential difficulties and how to manage them
The course does not cover:
- Interview schedule design
- Seeking informed consent
WHO IS IT FOR?
Qualitative Interviewing Workshop is suitable for individuals who have undertaken an introductory course to qualitative research and interviewing (including Basic Introduction to Qualitative Research and Introduction to Qualitative Interviewing) but with little or no practical experience of qualitative interviewing. Individuals who have some experience of qualitative interviewing but lack confidence or wish to improve their technique should contact me before booking a place to see if this course will be suitable for their needs. My Troubleshooting Workshop: Qualitative Interviews may be more appropriate for those with some experience of interviewing who would like to develop their skills and/or improve an existing interview schedule.
The course will take place in a training room with an attached breakout area. The course will involve extensive ‘role-playing’ style practice (participants will be asked to come prepared to discuss an experience as an interviewee, so that the practice is as authentic as possible!). Feedback will be given to individuals/pairs and then discussed as a group. There will be ample opportunity to discuss existing concerns and issues arising out of the practical work. Places will be limited to 6 people to facilitate an informal setting and ensure adequate time for providing feedback. Participants should bring their own recording device (please contact me if you do not have one).
ABOUT KRYSIA CANVIN
I have been a hands-on qualitative researcher for over 20 years. That means my day job consists of actually doing the research, not only supervising and/or lecturing (although I do some of that too). As a result, I have been involved in 15 qualitative projects (mostly as lead or sole researcher), interviewed hundreds of participants and analysed thousands of pages of data. I have authored/contributed to around 90 articles, reports, book chapters and presentations. I have worked at several prestigious universities: University of Oxford, University College London, University of Liverpool. In addition to providing bespoke qualitative research training, I have been teaching qualitative methods on the Oxford Clinical Psychology Doctorate for 9 years and receive consistently positive reviews from trainees.
WHAT PARTICIPANTS SAY
“[Favourite aspect of the course?] Hands on interviewing practice.”
“I really enjoyed watching the role play. Also Krysia created a really nice learning environment where it was easy to ask any questions.”
EARLY BIRD: Booking deadline Monday 11 December 2017
- £150 for one day (lunch NOT included)
- Book both days (10-11 January 2018) for £300 (accommodation not included)
STANDARD: Booking deadline Friday 5 January 2018
- £170 for one day
- Book both days (10-11 January 2018) for £350 (accommodation not included)
Crewe, Cheshire (10 minute walk from mainline station)
To book please complete the form below.