PRACTICAL SESSION: Troubleshooting Workshop: Getting Started Analysing Data using CAQDAS (Computer Assisted Qualitative Data Analysis Software) with Dr Krysia Canvin
9.30am-12.30pm, Thurs 8 February 2018, Crewe
- To provide:
- A basic introduction to qualitative data analysis using Atlas.ti and NVivo
- An understanding of the terminology used in Atlas.ti and NVivo
- A brief overview of the range of features of Atlas.ti and NVivo with opportunity to: create and save projects, upload data, create codes and code data, modify codes, retrieve coded data, share projects
- An opportunity to get started on data analysis for your project
- To make participants aware of the strengths and limitations of qualitative analysis software
- To signpost further reading
- To provide opportunities for one-to-one questions and advice
At the end of the workshop, participants should:
- Be able to decide which software suits their needs best
- Have an understanding of the basic features of Atlas.ti and NVivo
- Be able to get going with the analysis for their project
The workshop does not cover:
- How to do qualitative analysis
- Anything other than the basic ‘getting going’ features of the software
- Analysis of data other than text (i.e. not photos, pictures)
WHO IS IT FOR?
Getting Started Analysing Data using CAQDAS (Computer Assisted Qualitative Data Analysis Software) is a practical, interactive session suitable for individuals who are familiar with qualitative data analysis but have little or no knowledge or practical experience of using CAQDAS. Ideally, participants should have some data to bring along and upload. The data must be text, but does not have to be an interview transcript. It is ESSENTIAL that participants have installed either the full or trial versions of Atlas.ti and/or NVivo on their laptop and bring this along. Please contact me before booking a place to see if this workshop will be suitable for your needs, if:
- You do not have any data to upload
- You do not have a copy of the software
- You have previously used / received training in one or both of the software programmes
This workshop is not suitable for individuals with visual data such as photos.
The course will take place in a training room with an attached breakout area. The course will combine informal lecture-style teaching using Powerpoint slides, with group discussion and practical exercises. Places will be limited to 6 people to facilitate hands-on assistance and an informal setting where interaction, questions and discussion are welcome.
ABOUT KRYSIA CANVIN
I have been a hands-on qualitative researcher for over 20 years. That means my day job consists of actually doing the research, not only supervising and/or lecturing (although I do some of that too). As a result, I have been involved in 15 qualitative projects (mostly as lead or sole researcher), interviewed hundreds of participants and analysed thousands of pages of data. I have used CAQDAS for many years. I have authored/contributed to around 90 articles, reports, book chapters and presentations. I have worked at several prestigious universities: University of Oxford, University College London, University of Liverpool. In addition to providing bespoke qualitative research training, I have been teaching qualitative methods on the Oxford Clinical Psychology Doctorate for 9 years and receive consistently positive reviews from trainees.
EARLY BIRD: Booking deadline Friday 5 January 2018
- £100* for half day
STANDARD: Booking deadline Friday 2 February 2018
- £120* for half day
*Discounts available for multiple bookings (subject to availability)
Crewe, Cheshire (10 minute walk from mainline station)
To book please complete the form below.