PRACTICAL SESSION: Troubleshooting Workshop: Interviewing / Semi-Structured Interview Schedule Design with Dr Krysia Canvin
1.30am-4.30pm, Weds 7 February 2018, Crewe
- To provide a supportive forum for group discussion, supported by the workshop leader
- To provide an opportunity for individuals to reflect on and discuss with the group and workshop leader:
- Interview schedule design, including: question design, operationalisation, making adjustments as data collection proceeds
- How their interviews have been going, including: interview technique, what has / has not worked and why, concerns and challenges
- To work together to identify ways to improve the interview schedule / interview experience
- To facilitate peer-to-peer constructive criticism
- To provide opportunities for one-to-one questions and advice
At the end of the course, participants should:
- Have identified weaknesses in their interview schedule / interview experience and formulated strategies to address them
- Have improved ability to constructively criticise their own and others’ interview schedule / interviews
The course does not cover:
- Survey design or survey question design
WHO IS IT FOR?
Troubleshooting Workshop: Interviewing / Interview Schedule Design is a practical, interactive session suitable for individuals at with little or no experience of qualitative interviewing and designing a semi-structured interview schedule who are willing to discuss their interviews/interview schedule and to give and receive feedback. Participants should have a draft (or ‘finished’) interview schedule to bring along and discuss. It is not necessary to have already undertaken some interviews if you have an interview schedule to discuss. If you have conducted some interviews, you may find it help to bring along a recording and/or transcript. Please contact me before booking a place to see if this workshop will be suitable for your needs, if:
- You do have experience of qualitative interviews but are experiencing specific challenges on your current project
- You have a ‘rough’ or partially drafted interview schedule
This workshop is not suitable for individuals planning to conduct structured or unstructured interviews.
The workshop will take place in a training room with an attached breakout area. The workshop will involve extensive discussion, led by participants but facilitated by the workshop leader. Feedback and suggestions for improvement etc will be given by participants and the workshop leader and discussed as a group. There will be opportunity to speak privately to the workshop leader. Places will be limited to 6 people to facilitate an informal setting and ensure adequate time for everyone to receive feedback. Participants will be required to send a copy of their interview schedule to the workshop leader prior to the workshop and should bring copies along to the workshop to share with participants.
ABOUT KRYSIA CANVIN
I have been a hands-on qualitative researcher for over 20 years. That means my day job consists of actually doing the research, not only supervising and/or lecturing (although I do some of that too). As a result, I have been involved in 15 qualitative projects (mostly as lead or sole researcher), interviewed hundreds of participants and analysed thousands of pages of data. I have written, contributed to and commented on numerous interview schedules and transcripts. I have authored/contributed to around 90 articles, reports, book chapters and presentations. I have worked at several prestigious universities: University of Oxford, University College London, University of Liverpool. In addition to providing bespoke qualitative research training, I have been teaching and supervising trainees using qualitative methods on the Oxford Clinical Psychology Doctorate for 9 years and receive consistently positive reviews.
EARLY BIRD: Booking deadline Friday 5 January 2018
- £80* for half day
STANDARD: Booking deadline Friday 2 February 2018
- £100* for half day
*Discounts available for multiple bookings (subject to availability)
Crewe, Cheshire (10 minute walk from mainline station)
To book please complete the form below.